These crispy rice treats have complex flavor and are a step up from your average childhood snack. A whisky bourbon glaze is the magic touch! The flavor completely rounded out everything the salty, nutty and sweet elements.
Over the weekend I had a serious craving for crispy rice treats and I thought to myself…“Hmm…how can I kick these up a notch?”
In my head I ran through some ideas. Nutella. PB. Biscoff…chocolate, sprinkles…. All of these flavors sound great, but I wanted something different. I wanted to make something I’ve never had before.
Suddenly, s’mores came to mind.
A new flavor of crispy rice treats
I got hung up on doing s’mores, but these have also been done! I tried to think of a way I could add a touch of that toasted marshmallow flavor, like a summer campfire aroma but NOT make it s’mores flavored. Okay, so what can add a smoke flavor to these without turning this into a barbecue?
Well, whiskey is smoky.
These crispy rice treats are TOTALLY reinvented! Everything about them is amazing. They’re familiar, yet totally a step above the norm.
Gooey marshmallows, brown butter, a smokey, oakey richness from the whiskey.
Starting with the treats themselves, I browned the butter to create a deep, nutty background.
I made thick, huge squares by doubling the normal recipe and adding whole marshmallows to the mix (who doesn’t live a thick crispy rice treat).
The whiskey glaze is made from powdered sugar, whiskey and water. I definitely found the glaze to be strong at first, but once the glaze absorbs in the treats, the heat of the alcohol wears away and you’re left with a luxurious indulgence that hits every level of your taste buds.
Give ‘em a try. Not only will everyone appreciate the creativity, but they will adore you for pairing this childhood favorite with a hint of boozy goodness. I hope all you adults enjoy them!!
Brown Butter Sea Salt Crispy Rice Treats with a Bourbon Whiskey Glaze
For the treats:
- 12 c of crispy rice cereal
- 3 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows
- ½ c unsalted butter (or 1 stick)
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the glaze:
- ½ c of powdered sugar
- ½ tbsp of a good bourbon whiskey
- 2 tsp water
- Measure out the cereal into a very large bowl.
- Put the 2 and 1/2 bags of marshmallows into a separate glass or microwave proof bowl and set aside. Reserve ½ of the third bag.
- Prepare your pan of choice by spraying it with nonstick spray (I used a large roasting pan because I like them on the thicker side, which is also why I doubled the normal recipe).
- Place the stick of butter in a small saucepan over medium to low heat. Stir continually until the butter melts and starts to simmer.
- Continue to stir. The butter will begin to foam and eventually cook down getting darker and darker in color. As soon as it becomes an darker amber color, remove it from the heat and pour over the bowl of marshmallows. Be sure to scrap any and all brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir to coat all the marshmallows with the butter.
- Microwave on high for 45 second intervals until the marshmallows are completely melted, smooth and incorporated with the butter.
- Pour the melted marshmallow/butter mixture over the cereal and toss until mixed. Then, add remaining ½ bag of marshmallows.
- Pour into pan and push down using a piece of parchment paper (that way, it won’t stick to your fingers!) Sprinkle with the pinch of sea salt.
- In a small bowl, mix all the glaze ingredients. Drizzle glaze onto the treats with a fork (FYI- I didn't use all the glaze; just put on enough for a heavy drizzle), allow to cool and cut into squares!