These Fat Free Strawberry Graham muffins are miraculously moist, yet fat free! They are full of fiber, whole grain, dairy free and nearly sugar free too! Made with nutrient rich graham flour, these muffins have a nutty, sweet flavor and are a great option for a lighter breakfast or snack!
Now, I know this recipe is a bit out of my usual realm of sweet treats, but I wanted to post it because my dad has recently embraced a heart-healthy lifestyle and I made these for him. I thought they came out AWESOME and considering very, very (VERY) few baked goods that taste great AND are healthy exist, I felt like I needed to share the recipe.
Check ’em out!
They’re not dinky little muffins, these are legit real muffins.
Made with nutrient rich graham flour, these muffins have a nutty, sweet flavor and make for a lighter breakfast or snack. Unlike most muffins that are secretly packed full of sugar (making them unhealthy), this recipe only calls for 2 tablespoons of sugar, which you could totally omit entirely if you wanted to make these completely sugar free.
But having that bit of sweetness helps since there’s no fat in the recipe.
If you’re looking to lower the sugar overall, you could toss in some fresh or dried fruit! I used some diced strawberries since I had some leftover from my (not so low-fat/low sugar) Strawberry Coffee Cake.
Pro tip: These muffins stuck a little bit to my beloved parchment paper liners. I would recommend using a foil liner sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to ensure it doesn’t stick at all. You’ll want every last crumb!
Fat Free Strawberry Graham Muffins
- 1 3/4 c graham flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c almond milk
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (about half of one of those little 4oz cups)
- 3/4 c diced, fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line the muffin tin with foil liners and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond milk, egg whites, lemon juice and applesauce.
- Stir the diced strawberries into the flour mixture.
- Fold in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 25-30min until a toothpick or knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.