Indoor s’mores are the perfect solution for when you don’t have access to the outdoors or a fire! Using a rich, homemade chocolate glaze takes this treat over the top!These are a step up from a basic s’more, using a rich, homemade chocolate glaze which makes these treats a little more sophisticated…perfect for a party or girl’s night in.
There is NOTHING like a classic, melty, gooey warm s’more in the summertime. Sitting by the fire, toasting up your marshmallows, hanging with your peeps…isn’t that what summer is all about? Well, I live in a condo. And you can’t have fires on your patio at a condo. At ours, you can’t even have a gas or charcoal grill. It’s a major summer bummer.
This time of year, I generally feel left out of all that s’mores happiness that I see on my Instagram feed.
I’ve had enough. I made my own damn s’mores indoors and they’re AWESOME.
First, let’s talk about the components. For my s’mores, I stuck with the regular ‘ol graham crackers & marshmallows. If you REALLY wanted to make these s’mores uber gourmet and off the wall, you could make your own marshmallow from scratch (I’ve done it once!).
BUT when a craving hits at my house, I want it sooner than later. That’s why I decided to just give the chocolate an upgrade.
I started off with my chocolate glaze recipe which only takes minutes to prepare. As noted in this post, you can easily play around with different flavors, extracts, liquors and fruits (zests, freeze dried berries…). That’s why I thought this would be a great replacement for the chocolate in my s’more. There’s just enough of a difference to make it a little more sophisticated, but still familiar.
For mine, I added amaretto liquor in place of the extract and it was beautiful.
First step: Make the glaze:
Allow it to cool completely.
Using a knife, spread the chocolate onto one of the graham crackers.
Place your marshmallows on top of the chocolate.
Smoosh your other cra….err well….you know the rest 🙂
Rich Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 c dark chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar broken into small pieces
- 5 tbsp butter (salted works great, but you can use unsalted too!)
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (can be swapped for other flavors or liquors)
- 3 tbsp hot water
- In a large microwaveable bowl, add the chocolate & butter. Microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring well between each, until chocolate and butter are fully melted & incorporated.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the water and extract.
- Add the powdered sugar to the chocolate & butter mixture and gently stir; add the water mixture and whisk all ingredients until smooth.
- Use immediately as a glaze or allow to cool and use as a frosting or filling!