A good shortbread cookie recipe is fundamental for any baker. With only 5 ingredients and a few steps, you’ll have tender, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies which will become the perfect base for endless creativity. I love using my round biscuit cutters with a scalloped edge for this recipe. Classic.
Doubling up this recipe is a great idea! I like to keep these cookies in the freezer, ready to go.
Just sitting here thinking about it, I would…
-Decorate with royal icing
-Dunk bottoms or half the cookie in chocolate and top with flaky sea salt
-Add a mixture of citrus zest
-Royal icing and top with sprinkles
-White chocolate and top with pistachios
-Dark chocolate and top with walnuts
-Milk chocolate and top with shredded coconut
Sandwich together with…
-Rasberry or apricot jam
There’s so much you can do with this one little cookie!
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 c (or 2 sticks) unsalted butter cold, cut into large pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line the cookie tray with parchment.
- In a food processor, add the sugar, flour & salt. Pulse a couple of times to mix.
- Add the cold butter to the food processor and pulse until incorporated. The mixture should be dry.
- With the processor on, add the tablespoon of water and continue mixing until the dough starts to come together. Once it's mostly balled up, stop mixing and turn on a floured surface.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for about 15-18min or until slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool on tray.
- Dunk bottoms or half the cookie in chocolate and top with flaky sea salt
- Add a mixture of citrus zest
- Drizzle with...
- Royal icing and top with sprinkles
- White chocolate and pistachios
- Dark chocolate and walnuts
- Milk chocolate and shredded coconut
- Sandwich together...
- Rasberry or apricot jam