- 1 box of unsalted saltines or graham crackers
- 2 sticks of butter ((I'd go with unsalted))
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- Optional: Chocolate chips
- Optional: Chopped Nuts
- Optional: Sprinkles or other fun toppings!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (be sure to use a half size baking sheet, approx 13 x 18 inches that has a lip/edge). Lightly grease with butter or a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Lay out your crackers on the baking sheet in tight rows, ensuring to cover the entire sheet.
- In a medium pot, heat up the sugar and butter on medium heat until fully melted and it comes to a boil. Once you see the mixture boiling, remove from the heat.
- Pour the boiling butter/sugar mixture over the crackers. Carefully spread the mixture over each cracker evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the crackers are a medium golden brown.
- The crackers will likely shift around due to the candy bubbling in the oven. Once removed from the oven, take a knife or fork to gently get the crackers back in line. The toffee will begin to harden up, so be sure to do this quickly!
- To add a chocolate topping, generously sprinkle chocolate chips over the entire top of the crackers while the toffee is hot. Allow the chips to sit for a few minutes. Once you notice that the chips are melted, take an offset spatula and smooth the chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- Once fully cooled and hardened, carefully cut (per directions below) and peel off the foil. Be sure to check no foil is stuck to the bottom of the toffee.
- *To create perfect squares, take a sharp knife and cut while the toffee is still slightly warm.
*If you want a 'broken up toffee' look, allow to cool fully and snap into pieces.
*Make a crumble topping by allowing to cool completely and place in a large zip lock bag; break up using a rolling pin.
Recipe by: Owlbbaking.com