This date & nut bread recipe is hearty, packed with naturally sweet, chopped dates and buttery walnuts. This bread makes for the perfect breakfast on a snowy day.
- 1 cup pitted dates (diced)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dates, baking soda, butter and hot water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg until frothy. Then, add in the sugars and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well mixed.
- Add a small amount of the dry mixture to the egg/sugar mixture, stir, and then add about 1/3 of the hot water mixture, gently stir. Keep alternating between the flour and water mixtures until everything is added. Do not overmix.
- Lastly, fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into the loaf pan and smooth out the top using a spatula; the batter will be very thick.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. The bread will be very dark and golden in color and is done when a toothpick comes out clean.