Dulce de Leche Apple Tart
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
Dulce de Leche
- ⅓ c dulce de leche (if making your own, you'll need one 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk)
- 2 medium baking apples (honeycrisp, braeburn, winesap are all good choices!)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (preferably ceylon cinnamon)
How to Make Dulce de Leche
- Preheat the oven to 425° and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Pour the sweetened condesned milk into an ungreased glass pie dish (9" deep dish if available, regular depth can work).
- Cover the pie dish tightly with foil and place in a deep roasting pan.
- Create a water bath by pouring hot water into the roasting pan, filling it up so it reaches halfway up the pie dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- After time is up, check on the water level. Add more hot water if necessary to keep the water level halfway up the dish. Continue baking for 15-20 minutes or until the milk is thick and brown.
- Remove pie dish from the water bath and cool on a wire rack. This recipe makes about 1 ¼ cups of dulce de leche and the tart only need ⅓ cup, so be sure to enjoy those leftovers!!
To Make the Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash and core your apples. Slice into ⅛-¼" slices depending on how thick you want them. ⅛" will produce a drier apple after baking while ¼" will retain a little more juice.
- Put the apple slices in a medium bowl; toss with the cinnamon and set aside.
- Set aside a tart shell pan and place on top of a sheet pan (this will make it easier to handle). No need to prep or grease the pan.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and the salt. Mix just until combined.
- At a low mixing speed, gradually add the flour, mixing just until combined. The dough should form large crumbles.
- Transfer the dough to the tart pan and press the dough firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the dulce de leche over the dough, but not all the way to the edge. Leave some room!
- Arrange the sliced apples, covering the entire top of the tart.
- Bake tart for 45-50 minutes or until light golden brown.
- After baking, allow to cool. Remove from the pan and cut into wedges or bars.