- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ c molasses
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ⅔ c granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup with a spout, combine the eggs, molasses & lemon juice.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add some of the dry mixture to the butter, alternating with the egg/molasses mixture, ending with the flour.
- Mix until the dough just comes together.
- Roll into a large ball and cover in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 15-30min. Use about 1/6th of the dough at a time and keep the remainder in the fridge until ready to use.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until desired thickness (¼’’ will give you a cookie that has crisp edges and chewy in the middle; anything less will result in a more crisp cookie). Cut with desired cookie cutters.
- Place on the tray with about 1 ½ inches of space in between, and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness. Once cookies puff up in the oven, they only need a couple more minutes to bake. Cookies are done when they are slightly golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a wire rack to fully cool.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
These cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months.