- 1 cup graham flour ((regular whole wheat flour can be used))
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey ((100% pure maple syrup can be used))
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flours, sugar, salt & baking powder). In a smaller separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (egg, oil, honey, milk).
- Add the wet to the dry and gently stir them together with a spatula until the flour is absorbed. Do not work the dough too much.
- Use your hands to form a ball. The dough shouldn't be sticky or too dry- it should be moistened all the way through.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for one hour.
- After one hour, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Grab 3 large pieces of parchment. Lay one of the pieces down on your work surface. Take 1/2 the dough and put it in the center of one sheet of paper, flattening slightly. Place another sheet of parchment over the dough and begin to roll it out.
- Once the dough is 1/16th of an inch, transfer the whole sheet of parchment to your baking tray removing the top piece of parchment. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Place the trays into the oven and set the timer for 5 minutes. After that time is up, rotate the trays. Set the time for another 5 minutes.
- While they're baking, prepare a space to cut the crackers. You'll need a pastry wheel/pizza cutter or knife, a fork and a place to set the trays down on the counter.
- After the second 5 minute bake time, pull the trays out. Cut them into even squares (trimming off the uneven edges). The recommended size is 2x3 inches, but you can approximate. Then, take the fork and poke holes into the crackers. If you have a pastry docker, you can use that too.
- Once you're done cutting and poking, leave the crackers on the tray exactly as they are. Do not separate them.
- Place back into the oven for about 20-25 minutes until medium golden brown.
- FOR MAXIMUM CRISPINESS: Once done baking, pull the trays out of the oven and place on a cooling rack. Turn the oven OFF. Leave the oven door open for 5 minutes to allow the majority of the heat to escape. Then, place the trays back in the oven and close it for another 15 minutes. Be sure the oven is turned off.
- Remove the trays from the oven to fully cool. Snap the crackers apart and enjoy!
- Store graham crackers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
For Cinnamon Graham Crackers, add 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon to the dry ingredient mixture.
For Cinnamon Sugar topping, brush the rolled out dough with milk then sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar (do this before baking).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes