- 3/4 c unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- the juice of 1/2 lemon (or about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- In a large bowl (using either a stand mixer or hand mixer) cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the zest. Then beat in the egg until thoroughly combined; scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour and seeds; mix until just combined. Once the dough starts to come together and as soon as the flour is absorbed, stop mixing.
- Lay down a piece of plastic wrap on your surface.
- Remove dough from the bowl and form into a log (about 1 ¾ inches in diameter). You might find it easier to work with two logs rather than one long one, that's OK. Place the log(s) onto the plastic wrap and roll.
- Once the dough is coated, wrap up in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. (You can also store the dough in the freezer at this point if you want to make the dough a few days or weeks in advance!)
- Once 2 hours have passed, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough log gently, while it's still in the plastic, in to create more of a rounded shape. Unwrap the dough and using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/4 inch slices.
- As you get to slicing the log, you may find that your cookies are uneven again. Try this trick! Hold a cookie by cradling it on your thumb. Form an 'OK' symbol, but instead of using your pointer finger, use your middle finger. Try to connect the tips of your middle finger to your thumb with the cookie in the center (it's not a problem if they don't touch). This will gently shape it into a more circular form.
- Bake for about 10-13 minutes or until the cookies are set and barely golden brown. Allow the cookies to rest on the sheet before moving to a cooling rack to fully cool.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: American