Moss Bunny Cookies look just like a moss bunny decoration you’d see during the Easter holiday! A delicious, buttery soft sugar cookie is decorated using royal icing and cookie crumbs. This is an easy, elegant, decorated cookie idea for Easter. Great for kids! I’m sharing my best sugar cookie and royal icing recipes too!
- 12 sugar cookies (these will be for decorating)
- 7–8 pieces of cookie “scraps” or additional sugar cookies (this will be for the moss)
- green food coloring gel
- 1 batch royal icing (be sure to have enough extra for additional decorating. One batch of my royal icing will be enough for this recipe!)
- other decorations if desired (sprinkles, more royal icing colors etc.)
- In the bowl of a food processor, add in the cookie scraps or additional cookies. Also add in 4-5 drops of green food coloring gel. You can use more for intense color.
- Blend the cookies and food coloring until very, very fine crumbs have formed and the mixture is green throughout. This can take up to 3 minutes.
- Dump the crumbs onto a flat plate.
- Dye your royal icing green using the same color as you did for the cookie crumbs. The icing doesn’t have to be the exact same shade; it will blend into the background.
- Using a piping bag with a small, round tip, outline and flood your cookies.
- Holding the cookie vertically above the plate, sprinkle the cookie crumbs and allow them to fall on top of the iced cookie. Repeat until the entire cookie is covered. You can gently press them into the icing for full coverage.
Do not directly dip the cookie into the crumbs. The icing will get smooshed and you’ll lose all that detailed work from outlining your cookies!
- Lay the cookie on a wire rack and allow to dry uncovered, overnight.
- Add additional decorations as desired!
NOTE: Because we have a layer of crumbs over the cookie, any royal icing decorations for the top have nothing to stick to. Be very careful when piping more royal icing on top of the crumbs, as the royal icing can easily be lifted off of the cookie as you release your piping bag.
This made decorating the bunny a bit difficult, but it’s totally still doable (royal icing transfers would be great option here).