For the Crust
- 1 egg
- 8 tbsp of butter (either salted or unsalted works), melted
- 1 box of spice cake mix
For the Filling
- 8oz of full fat cream cheese, at room temp
- 15 oz reduced, unsweetened applesauce (start with 25 oz of unsweetened applesauce, then reduce it on medium heat in a pot/pan for about 20 min until thickened, see notes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp butter (unsalted or salted works), melted
- 3 ½ c of powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon (I prefer Ceylon Cinnamon)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Whipped cream
- Slivered Almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Start by making the crust. In a large bowl, combine the egg & butter, then the cake mix using an electric hand mixer. Best to start on low speed and then mix on medium speed until combined.
- Spread the cake mixture into the bottom of the pan evenly. Set aside.
- Next, make the filling. In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese and reduced applesauce. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and butter and mix until fully combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Lastly, add the powdered sugar and spices. Mix on low speed until completely combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the filling over the unbaked crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the filling is just set. You want to have a little jiggle in the center. Be sure not to overbake as the cake could loose it's famous gooeyness!
- Place on a wire rack and allow to fully cool.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Remove from the fridge one hour before serving to serve at room temp. Top with whipped cream, a caramel drizzle and slivered almonds (toppings optional!)
- Best consumed within 3-4 days.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
Adapted from Paula Deen
To make reduced applesauce
Pour 25oz of unsweetened applesauce into a pot or skillet. Cook on medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 25 minutes. The extra water should be evaporated and the applesauce should hold soft peaks when you run your spatula through it. It will equal about 15oz when done (I use a food scale). Allow to cool before adding into the recipe.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Gooey Butter Cake, Gooey Butter Cake, Fall Dessert, Paula Deen Gooey Butter Cake, Thanksgiving Desserts