- 1/2 c butter (melted & cooled, unsalted or salted can be used- if using salted, you may want to reduce the added salt to 1/4 tsp)
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 c buttermilk or milk
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c frozen mixed berries (store in freezer until ready to add in the batter)
- sparkling sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Put paper liners in a cupcake tin.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar and vanilla using a spoon or spatula.
- Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Pour in the milk and stir until completely incorporated. The mixture will be very liquidy at this point.
- In smaller bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt)
- Slowly add half of the flour and fold it into the mixture. Stir. Once mostly combined, add the remaining flour. Continue folding the mixture until the flour has just absorbed. Do not mix any further! The batter should be thick and have lumps.
- Lastly, take the frozen berries out of the freezer and gently fold them into the batter.
- Using a cookie scoop (or normal tablespoon), put 6 tablespoons of batter into each cup (I used a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop, so that's two scoops).
- Add sparkling sugar to the tops of each muffin (optional).
- Bake for 5 minutes. Then, reduce the temp to 375°F for another 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven when finished baking and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan to finish cooling on a rack. These muffins are freezer friendly for up to 3 months!
Recipe adapted from: LittleSweetBaker
Made by Owlbbaking.com
How to add frozen strawberries
If you plan on using whole, frozen strawberries, here's how to add them to the muffin batter.
Measure out about a 15 strawberries (assuming they're pretty large, they usually are in those frozen bags!)
Place on a plate and microwave for about 20 seconds. They should still have some ice crystals and still be partially frozen when you remove them from the microwave.
Cut the strawberries in half and then each half into quarters to create bite-sized pieces. This should yield about 1 ½ c of chopped fruit. If you need to use more, store the cut pieces in the freezer (until ready to use) and repeat with more berries.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mixed Berry Muffins