- 4 oz almond paste (not marzipan, if you don't have almond paste, just add the ⅓ c granulated sugar as noted below and add 1 tsp almond extract)
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- all purpose flour (for rolling)
- 1 sheet store bought puff pastry (defrosted but not warm)
- 2-3 tbsp butter (melted - salted or unsalted can be used as there is no additional salt in this recipe)
- 3 oz milk or dark chocolate
- sliced almonds for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the almond paste and sugar until it is completely homogeneous (or, just sugar and almond extract if you're not using almond paste). Set aside.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on top of your work surface and on your rolling pin. Roll the pastry out until you have formed a larger rectangle.
- Brush the melted butter on the top of the pastry.
- Generously sprinkle the almond/sugar mixture on top of the buttered pastry and press into the dough firmly.
- Fold the dough in half so that the shorter ends of the rectangle meet. Press down on the dough again.
- Using a pastry wheel or a knife, cut the dough lengthwise into 8 long strips. Then, cut one line down the middle to form 16 strips.
- Press the dough on both ends and twist to form the shape. Place the twists onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the twists have puffed up and are golden brown.
- Allow the twists to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate in 10 second intervals in the microwave.
- Using either a fork or a pastry bag, drizzle the chocolate on top of the twists.
- Sprinkle slices almonds on top of the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to fully set and serve!
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com