Cranberry Coffee Cake is soft, moist, bursting with fresh cranberries and covered in crunchy, buttery crumb topping. This easy coffee cake recipe can be easily transformed into muffins too!
For the Streusel Topping
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- ¼ c brown sugar (lightly packed)
- ½ c all purpose flour
- ¼ c oats (old fashioned or instant)
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the Cake
- ⅓ c unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 c buttermilk (whole milk can also be used)
- 2 c all purpose flour (plus 2tbsp reserved in a separate bowl)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ - 2 c fresh, raw cranberries (sorted and rinsed)
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the Streusel Topping
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Add the flour, oats and salt. Once the mixture is completely combined, form into two large dough balls. Pop into the freezer while you prepare the cake batter.
- For the Cake
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Stir well. Then, add ½ of the milk, mix. Add the, remaining flour, stir and then lastly incorporate the remaining milk.
Stir until all of the flour and milk is absorbed. No need to over mix!
- In a separate bowl, take the reserved 2 tbsp of flour and toss it with the cranberries, just enough to coat them (this helps so they don't sink to the bottom of the cake!)
- Gently fold the cranberries into the batter.
- Grease and flour two 9’’ round pans, one 10" round pan or one 9x9 pan.
- Notes on using other pans: I find the cake is too delicate for a loaf pan. It will not slice properly. Making muffins in a cupcake pan would work, but I recommend using the foil wrappers as this cake is so moist it would likely be too wet to uphold the paper ones. Mini cupcakes did NOT work; the batter just melted into a big mess!
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Remove the streusel from the freezer and crumble on top of batter (if it's too frozen, pop it into the microwave for 5-7 seconds). Gently press it into the batter.
- Bake for about 30-40 min or until a knife in the center comes out clean (there should not be any raw cake batter, and the edges will be a deep golden brown).
- Allow to fully cool in the pan.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
Can be frozen for up to 3 months. Once cooled, wrap in plastic and then aluminum foil.
Keywords: Cranberry Coffee Cake