Hot Chocolate Bombs
A Hot Chocolate Bomb is a hollow, chocolate shell filled with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. Place in a mug, pour on hot milk and watch the marshmallows float to the top! Give it a quick stir and you’ll have a cozy warm cup of chocolatey goodness. Great for DIY holiday gifts and kids!
- Author: Liz at Owlbbaking.com
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15 min + chill time
- Category: Chocolate
- Cuisine: American
- 8oz or 227g of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I recommend using chips for this recipe). This amount of chocolate is enough for 3 bombs (or to fill one mold with 6 cavities). Scale accordingly if making more.
- Hot cocoa powder (about 1 tbsp per bomb)
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped soft peppermint candy (optional)
To make the hot chocolate bombs
- Place the silicone molds on a small cookie sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring frequently until fully melted.
- Once the chocolate is melted, add a heaping tablespoon (or about 1½ tbsp) into each cavity of the mold.
- Using an offset spatula, back of a spoon or butter knife, spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold until every bit of the mold is covered. Be sure to coat the chocolate up to the edge of the top as well.
- Give the mold a few taps against the counter to smooth out and remove any air bubbles.
- Let the chocolate sit about 5 minutes to cool down a bit more.
- After 5 minutes is up, you should notice some pooled chocolate at the boom of cavities. Spread the pooled chocolate from the bottom, back up the sides to re-coat the sides.
- Give the mold a couple of light taps again.
- Place the mold into the fridge or freezer to set.
- Once set, remove the chocolate from the molds by stretching the sides first and then using your fingers to push the bottom up, popping out the chocolate. Set chocolate aside.
- On a small plate, add a bit of water until it covers the surface. Microwave the plate for about 15 seconds or until warmed. Remove the water and dry off the plate.
- Pick up one of the half-spheres and place it edge side down on the plate for a few seconds. This should melt the chocolate just a little bit.
- Fill it with the hot cocoa powder, marshmallows etc. Grab the other half of the bomb, melt the edges on the plate and bring the two halves together and press gently. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the chocolate around the seam.
- Allow the chocolate to set again, back in the fridge or freezer.
- Add the bomb to a small cello bag or treat bag. Seal and add ribbon, labels or stickers.
How to make hot chocolate with a hot chocolate bomb
- Place bomb in an empty mug. Pour over 8 oz of hot milk. Stir and enjoy!
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
Keywords: Hot Chocolate Bombs, Homemade Hot Chocolate, Easy Christmas Gifts, Christmas Gift Ideas DIY, Christmas Gift Ideas for Kids