For the Cookies
- 1 c of unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c almond flour
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
For the Coating
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- To begin, preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and extracts.
- Cream the mixture for 1 minute, to incorporate air into the butter, which is crucial to the recipe.
- Add the almond flour and all-purpose flour to the butter mixture, and mix on low-medium speed with a hand mixer until the ingredients are fully combined. The mixture will be crumbly but should form a ball when squeezed together.
- Next, using a 1 tablespoon sized cookie scoop, form the dough into balls.
- Place the dough balls about 1-inch apart from each other on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, monitoring the cookies closely at the 12 minute mark to ensure they do not brown too much. These cookies should only show a hint of light browning on the edges to show they are done.
- Once done baking, allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.
- In a large zip lock bag, add the powdered sugar and gently toss the cookies to coat.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
To shape this cookie dough with silicone molds, follow these steps:
- Dust mold with powdered sugar.
- Press the dough lightly into the mold.
- Freeze the mold for 10 minutes so that the shape firms up.
- Gently pop the formed dough out of the mold..
- Bake until lightly golden brown (it make take more or less time depending on the size of your mold. The flower one I used shown in this post had a bake time of 10 minutes).
- You may want to skip coating them in powdered sugar as detailed shapes do not come through as well (which is why I left the flower cookies bare).
** if you only have salted butter on hand, omit added salt
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 59.8 mg
- Fat: 10.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 24.4 mg
Keywords: italian wedding cookies, almond wedding cookies, italian wedding cookies with almond flour, classic italian cookies, desserts, italian baking, christmas cookies, traditional recipe