These homemade Lemon Cooler cookies are better than boxed! A secret lemon icing layer adds a slight cooling feel, making these soft, melt in your mouth cookies totally refreshing. Perfect for lemon lovers!
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 c all purpose flour
For the Coating
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 c powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter and sugar.
- Using a hand mixer (or if you have this in a stand mixer) beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and mix well.
- Next, add the egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Lastly, add the flour and mix on low speed until large crumbles form. Stop mixing once all the flour is absorbed. Do not over mix.
- Using a 1 tablespoon sized cookie scoop, scoop the dough into the palm of your hand and squeeze together to form a ball. It’s okay if the dough is very crumbly, but you should be able to form a nice, smooth ball after squeezing the dough together. If it’s too dry, try adding a couple teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Place the dough balls on the prepared cookie sheet, spaced 1½ inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom is light golden brown.
- Allow to rest of the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, place the lemon juice in one bowl and the powdered sugar in another bowl.
- Dip the top of the cookies in the lemon juice and immediately into the sugar, rolling the cookie around to coat.
- Place back on the cooling rack for at least 30 minutes to dry. Re-roll in the powdered sugar if needed (sometimes the lemon juice absorbs some of the sugar!)
- Store in an airtight container for 4-6 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
- Avoid dipping the bottom of the cookie in lemon juice. The bottom will get soggy and not dry well.
- Looking for a more intense ‘cooling’ feeling? Try adding crystallized lemon juice to the powdered sugar before rolling the cookies.
- To make lime coolers, simply use lime zest and lime juice.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 4.6g
Keywords: Lemon cooler cookies, lemon desserts, summer desserts, lemon cookies, drop cookies, cookies with lemon