This Lemon Ricotta Cake is exceptionally moist, light and sweet! Delicious ricotta cheese adds a creamy richness which pairs perfectly with the brightness of fresh lemon. You'll want to make this unforgettable, rustic, Italian lemon cake!
- ¾ c unsalted butter (softened at room temp) + some extra for greasing the pan
- 1 c granulated sugar
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 3 eggs (room temp)
- 1 ½ c whole milk ricotta cheese (room temp)
- ¾ c all purpose flour
- ½ c fine ground polenta OR fine cornmeal OR semolina OR all purpose flour (I like fine cornmeal best)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9” springform pan by placing a round of parchment paper on the bottom. Grease the bottom and sides with butter.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter and sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well.
- Next, add the lemon zest. Mix until incorporated.
- Crack the eggs into a small separate bowl.
- Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture, one at a time, mixing well in between each addition with the hand mixer until completely incorporated. It’s OK if your batter looks a bit separated at this point.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour and other flour (if using), the baking powder and salt. Stir with a fork and add it into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- With the mixer on the lowest speed setting, gently mix the dry ingredients until they are just absorbed (this should take less than a minute). Once you see the flour is absorbed, stop mixing.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl well to ensure everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. The cake should be golden brown on the edges.
- When finished baking, allow the cake to fully cool on a cooling rack before removing the springform pan ring.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
For best results, make a day in advance.
Best stored chilled in the refrigerator.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 20g
Keywords: Lemon Ricotta Cake