Maple Ginger Snaps are crispy, crunchy and absolutely delightful! This lightened up version of a traditional ginger snap is mildly spiced and made without the heaviness of molasses. An easy holiday cookie recipe that everyone will love!
- ¾ c vegetable shortening
- 1 c granulated sugar (preferably Domino Golden Sugar)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ c pure maple syrup
- 2 ⅓ c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- ¼ c extra granulated sugar poured on a plate, set aside (for coating the cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 375° and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well. Then add the maple syrup and mix well.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again to ensure everything is combined.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Add the combined dry ingredients into the wet ingredients all at once and slowly mix until everything is absorbed and the dough is formed. The dough should be smooth and firm; not sticky.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into 1 ½ tsp sized balls and roll in between your hands until the ball is smooth and even.
- Drop the cookie dough ball onto the plate with sugar and roll until fully coated.
- Place on the lined tray leaving nearly 2 inches between each one as these cookies will spread.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes (11 for a little chew in the centers or up to 15 minutes for a totally crisp and crunchy cookie).
- Allow to cool on the tray or on a baking rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days at room temp.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
-These cookies have a lighter spice taste than traditional ginger snaps. Feel free to crank up the intensity & flavor by increasing the amounts of spices!
-Grind up/crush cookies for a homemade cookie pie crust!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 4.4 g
Keywords: Maple Ginger Snaps, Ginger Snap Cookies, Crunchy Ginger Snaps, Ginger Snaps without Molasses, Easy Cookies, Holiday Cookies