Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins are soft, cakey and coated with the warm sweetness of cinnamon sugar! This easy "donut" recipe is quick throw together as a fun add-on for breakfast or brunch. All the ease of making muffins with all the taste of a fresh donut!
For the Muffins:
- ¼ c unsalted utter
- ¼ c vegetable or canola oil
- ½ c granulated sugar
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon ((I prefer Ceylon Cinnamon))
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ⅔ c all puprose flour sifted or mixed with a whisk
- 1 c whole milk
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1 stick of melted butter
- ⅔ c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Grease min-muffin tin with vegetable shortening.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, oil and sugars until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, gently add in about a third of the flour and stir until mostly worked in. Then add about a third of the milk; mix in. Continue to alternate while mixing (stopping for an occasional scrape down) until all of the milk and flour are in the batter.
- Once the last of the ingredients are in, do not over mix.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon size cookie scoop, place one scoop of batter into each cavity. Or, if you don't have this size scoop, fill the cavity most of the way, leaving a little bit of room.
- Bake the muffins for 7-10 minutes (they were perfect for me at 8min), until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the pan and place onto a metal rack to cool.
- In a deep bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for the topping.
- Dip muffins into the melted butter, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Allow to set on a wire rack or enjoy promptly.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.