Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins are soft, cakey and coated with the warm sweetness of cinnamon sugar! This easy “donut” recipe is quick throw together as a fun add-on for breakfast or brunch. All the ease of making muffins with all the taste of a fresh donut!
My problem with making homemade donuts has always been the fact that they require frying. Sometimes, I just don’t feel like lugging out the deep fryer and oil and dealing with all of the cleanup afterward.
Luckily, baking donuts has really become a thing! I usually see some kind of homemade baked donuts somewhere on my Pinterest or Instagram feed daily. I even finally bought myself one of those donut pans too!
However, even though I have an donut pan, I still make donut muffins all the time. I love the mini muffin shape and I totally don’t feel guilty for having more than one!
Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins are a sweet add to any breakfast or brunch. They are very easy to make and do not require any additional time to rise or rest; this is a yeast-free donut baked donut recipe!
| Looking for another donut muffin recipe? Try them Glazed! |
How to make Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
The key to making amazing donut muffins is to not overwork the batter. This keeps the muffin light and tender. I find that once you start to add the flour & milk, stir until the ingredients are just incorporated. You can do this by keeping your mixer speed on the lowest setting and keeping a close eye on it as these last two ingredients get worked in. Otherwise, this batter is a cinch to pull together!!
Once the batter is prepared, scoop into a VERY well greased mini muffin tin. I like to use straight up vegetable shortening but you could use butter as well. I don’t recommend using a cooking spray as it may not be enough to prevent the muffins from sticking.
As the donuts cool from the oven, prepare your station for dipping into the cinnamon sugar coating. I like to used wide & deep bowls as they ensure a good coat! You’ll be first dipping them into melted butter (is there anything better in life??) and then into the cinnamon sugar.
Can you Freeze mini donut muffins?
Yes, definitely!! I love keeping a batch of these stored away in my freezer. They are the perfect impromptu add to a weekday breakfast. Pop one in microwave for about 20 seconds to warm through and enjoy donut muffins any time!
Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
For the Muffins:
- ¼ c unsalted utter
- ¼ c vegetable or canola oil
- ½ c granulated sugar
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (I prefer Ceylon Cinnamon)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ⅔ c all puprose flour sifted or mixed with a whisk
- 1 c whole milk
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1 stick of melted butter
- ⅔ c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Grease min-muffin tin with vegetable shortening.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, oil and sugars until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, gently add in about a third of the flour and stir until mostly worked in. Then add about a third of the milk; mix in. Continue to alternate while mixing (stopping for an occasional scrape down) until all of the milk and flour are in the batter.
- Once the last of the ingredients are in, do not over mix.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon size cookie scoop, place one scoop of batter into each cavity. Or, if you don't have this size scoop, fill the cavity most of the way, leaving a little bit of room.
- Bake the muffins for 7-10 minutes (they were perfect for me at 8min), until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the pan and place onto a metal rack to cool.
- In a deep bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for the topping.
- Dip muffins into the melted butter, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Allow to set on a wire rack or enjoy promptly.