For the Chocolate Syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (high quality: Valrhona or Guittard brands are preferred)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Mocha Latte
- 2 oz of espresso (strongly brewed coffee can be used)
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup (store-bought is OK but suggest using recipe above)
- Whipped cream or frothed milk for topping
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
To Make the Chocolate Syrup
- In a cold saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, espresso powder, and salt, removing all lumps.
- Add the water and whisk.
- On medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
- Once it reaches boiling stage, reduce the heat to simmer, continuing to stir.
- Simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and allow to cool.
- Pour into glass jar with an airtight lid and refrigerate until needed.
- Will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
To Make the Mocha Latte
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and chocolate syrup.
- Stir until the syrup is fully combined with the milk and the mixture starts to steam. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Pour prepared espresso into a mug, and then add the milk mixture into a mug.
- Top with whipped cream or frothed milk, extra chocolate syrup and chocolate shavings.
Callebaut Cocoa Powder (Premium Cocoa)Buy Now →
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5