This easy Pistachio Biscotti recipe is delicately sweet, has a light crunch and is made with lots of buttery, beautiful green pistachios! Keep them plain or add chocolate for a decadent version of this classic Italian cookie!
FOR THE COOKIES
- ⅔ c pistachios (shelled, raw)
- 4 Tbsp butter (softened at room temp; salted or unsalted can be used)
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ c all purpose flour (plus more for shaping the dough)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
EGG WASH (OPTIONAL)
- 1 egg
- a splash of water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prep one cookie tray with parchment.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the pistachios and grind into coarse crumbs. Some larger pieces are OK.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy using a hand mixer.
- Next, add the pistachios.
- Add the eggs & vanilla extract. Mix for about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Gently mix the dry ingredients on low speed until incorporated. Stop mixing once all of the flour is absorbed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Once the mixture comes together, sprinkle a dusting of flour onto the cookie tray that is lined with parchment. Carefully dump out the dough onto the tray and gently form the dough into a log. The dough will be a bit soft, so add more flour to your surface and your hands as needed to form the shape.
- Once your log is ready (it should be about the length of the tray), press down so that the dough log is about ½ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water using a fork. Brush the egg wash on top of the dough.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until puffed up, light golden brown and firm.
- Once the cookie log is done baking, remove from the oven and set aside. Drop the oven temp to 300°F.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray. Once the cookie log is done resting, use a serrated knife to slice the log into about 1 inch cookies.
- Place the cookies on their flat sides and place back into the oven for 10 minutes* (or more time if desired, SEE NOTES).
- After the cookies are done baking on the one side, flip them over again and bake the other sides for 10 minutes (or more time if desired, SEE NOTES).
- After the last bake, remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
RECIPE BY OWLBBAKING.COM
*Feel free to give the pistachios a quick toast in the oven to deepen the flavor of your cookies. Just don't forget to let them cool down before adding to the dough!
*The great thing about this recipe is that you can bake these on the softer side or more crisp. All you need to do is adjust the baking time for the second bake.
- If you want softer cookies, bake no more than 10 minutes on each side.
- If you want medium-crunch cookies, bake no more than 15 minutes on each side.
- For crisp cookies, bake 20 minutes on each side.
- You can divide the dough in half and make two cookie logs for smaller biscotti.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 61mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
Keywords: Pistachio Biscotti, Pistachio cookies, Italian cookies