This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe for using cookie cutters (and stamps). The dough holds every shape perfectly and they have a beautiful flavor and delicate, buttery crumb!
- 1 c unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 oz cream cheese (room temperature (I've subbed with extra butter, which works too if you don't have cream cheese on hand))
- 1 c sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl. combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar in the bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and extracts and beat until well combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl well.
- Add in the flour, salt and baking powder and mix just until combined- stop mixing once the dough begins to form.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap & refrigerate the dough for 30min.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Once the dough is finished chilling, divide into thirds (doesn't have to be exact. Take one third at a time and roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4".
- Cut with desired cookie cutter and place onto a tray lined with parchment.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes, until the edges just begin to brown (my cookies took closer to 15min).
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Any dough scraps can be combined and used. Do not reuse dough scraps more than 3x- it begins to dry out.
- Let cool completely before decorating.