Soft Butter Cookies
These Soft Butter Cookies are delicate, tender and are melt in your mouth buttery! These cookies have a classic swirl design that is impressive and so easy to make at home! The best, basic butter cookie recipe.
- Author: Liz at Owlbbaking.com
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt (if you are using salted butter, omit this)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp milk (whole or 2%) (more if needed, but the amount of milk will vary by batch due to the moisture level in the other ingredients)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cookie trays with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar & salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour to the mixture and mix until large crumbles form.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of milk and mix. If the dough is not sticky, add another TEASPOON of milk until it is sticky and has the consistency of thick buttercream. Avoid using too much milk as this can cause the cookies to spread too much.
- Transfer the dough to a extra large, heavy duty piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Pipe the dough into rosettes by using the following motion; holding the bag upright, pipe the dough onto the tray and pull up slightly, then wrap around the center and pull gently to release.
- Bake in the oven until light golden brown on the edges, about 12 – 16 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool on baking sheet.
Keywords: Soft Butter Cookies