This Sour Cream Frosting recipe is ultra creamy and a great alternative to using cream cheese! An easy, unique frosting that will add a delicious, tangy twist to cakes and cupcakes.
- ½ c unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
- 3 ½ c powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ c sour cream (room temp)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add the softened butter.
- Give the butter a quick mix for a couple of seconds to break it up.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix until the butter is distributed in the sugar. The mixture will be completely dry and crumbly at this point.
- Add the vanilla and half of the sour cream. Beat on medium speed until mostly combined, then add the remaining sour cream.
- Mix on high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Use immediately for best results, or store covered in the refrigerator.
- Keep frosted cakes chilled until ready to serve.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com
- Makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes.
- DO NOT add the sour cream directly to the butter- the mixture will curdle. Be sure to follow the exact order of ingredients.
- For thicker frosting (great for simple piping) use less sour cream.
- If you don’t have lemon juice, you can skip adding it. No need to replace with lemon extract. The lemon juice creates acidic balance which isn’t the same with extract.
- Store frosting chilled in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Sour cream frosting, frosting for cupcakes, easy frosting recipe