© Owlbbaking, LLC. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without permission from owner is strictly prohibited. Click here for round-up feature consent.
If you love all things cookies, you are going to love this recipe! This no churn cookie monster ice cream is easy to make and is packed with delicious cookie pieces. It does not require an ice cream maker, so it is the perfect no fuss treat. Kids will love helping you make this fun dessert and they'll love the bright blue color! And best of all, it tastes amazing!
The Perfect Summer Treat
Summer just isn't the same without ice cream! It is the perfect treat to cool down on a hot afternoon or evening. Homemade ice cream is even better!
Many homemade ice cream recipes can get really fussy; using eggs, cooking a custard, several rounds of chill time, etc.
Not to mention, ice cream makers can be really expensive and bulky to store.
That's why I like to make no churn ice cream!
What is No Churn Ice Cream?
It is simply a method of making ice cream without an ice cream maker and with just a few ingredients.
The base of this cookie monster ice cream recipe is sweetened condensed milk and whipping cream. How easy is that?
What Makes This Ice Cream Creamy?
Sweetened condensed milk is very thick and sweet. It has had all the water removed from it, leaving behind a super concentrated milk product. It makes the perfect base for ice cream.
Using whipped cream will ensure that the final ice cream is light and smooth, and it adds volume to the mixture.
When combined with whipping cream and frozen, it creates a very creamy texture that is very similar to traditional churned ice cream!
What Is Cookie Monster Ice Cream?
Cookie monster ice cream is a type of cookie dough ice cream that is usually blue in color and has cookie pieces mixed in. If you've ever seen it at an ice cream shop, it usually catches your eye pretty fast!
The addition of cookie pieces makes this recipe extra special! The ice cream softens the cookies so everything gets super creamy.
Just be sure to chop it into smaller pieces so that it mixes evenly into the ice cream.
The cookie pieces are what give this dessert its fun flavor. Be sure to use your favorite cookies for this recipe! I used chocolate chip cookies and chopped Oreos, but you could use any type of cookie that you like. You can also use ready to eat cookie dough.
What Does it Taste Like?
Cookie monster ice cream is made with a vanilla ice cream base, so it has a sweet vanilla flavor.
The ice cream flavor is pretty straightforward vanilla and other than the vanilla taste, there is so much cookie flavor which will depend on the types of cookies you use!
The texture of the cookies will soften in the ice cream mixture so there will not be crunchy textures in the ice cream, but you can definitely top your ice cream with more cookies if you're looking for a bit of crunch!
How to Achieve a Bright Blue Color
Anything associated with a cookie monster is known for its signature blue color. If you want to achieve a bright blue color, you will need to use food coloring.
Use Gel or Liquid Food Coloring
I made the switch to gel food coloring a long time ago, so I used about ¼ teaspoon of the gel to achieve a super bright blue color. I would say, keep adding more gel color or a few drops more of liquid color until you achieve the desired shade.
You can add more or less depending on how dark or light you want
If you want to use a natural food coloring, you could look into using something like Butterfly Pea Flower Powder. I have not tried this method before so I cannot speak to the results, but that is a great natural substitute if you want to give it a try.
If you want a cookie monster ice cream that is not blue, you can simply leave out the food coloring! It will still taste great!
This no churn cookie monster ice cream recipe is so easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Items You'll need...
For the Ice Cream
- a can of sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- blue food coloring
- chocolate sandwich cookies
- chocolate chip cookies
Can You Use Regular Milk?
Unfortunately for this recipe, no. Because this recipe is no churn, it does require ingredients that have less water content to avoid lots of ice crystals forming (making ice cream VERY hard to scoop and less creamy).
I like to use store-bought cookies for this recipe because it is easy to use. But feel free to make your own cookies if you prefer (here are my recipes for easy chocolate chip cookies and homemade oreos!)
This cookie monster ice cream is a great way to use up leftover cookies too. It is also a fun recipe to make with kids. They will love seeing the cookie pieces in their ice cream.
Continue reading to see my other ideas for cookies options!
How to Make Homemade Cookie Monster Ice Cream
This no churn cookie monster ice cream recipe is very easy to make and it comes together quickly.
It does not require an ice cream maker, so it is the perfect no fuss treat.
Just a Few Easy Steps!
To make this cookie monster ice cream, start by crushing up your cookies into small pieces.
I personally do not like to use a food processor because the cookie pieces are too small. I simply placed the cookies in a zip top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. It makes it very easy to control and get the exact size you want.
Set the cookie crumbs aside.
Make the Ice Cream Base
Next, you will need to whip up the cream. Be sure to use heavy whipping cream for this recipe.
Pour the cream into a stand mixer (you could also use a hand mixer). Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks form (remember: using very cold heavy cream whips better!)
Combining The Condensed milk base
Then add one large scoop of whipped cream and begin to fold it in. Be very gentle during this process as you do not want to deflate the air in the whipped cream!
Gently Fold The Ingredients
Once that scoop has been worked in, add another, and continue until all of the whipped cream has been added. The mixture should be light, fluffy, and completely combined.
Lastly, gently fold in the chopped cookies but reserve some to decorate the top!
Place in the Pan
Scoop the ice cream base mixture into a cold loaf pan and add the remaining chopped cookies. Freeze for 10-12 hours.
By later in the day or the next day, you will have delicious cookie monster ice cream!
Do I Need an Ice Cream Machine?
Nope! No ice cream machine required to make this recipe. This ice cream does not require churning to stay smooth and creamy!
How Long Should I Freeze My Ice Cream?
It will take about 10-12 hours to set up and freeze. I like to make it the night before and let it freeze overnight.
However, if you wish to eat it same day, simply prepare the ice cream in the morning to enjoy by night.
When you are ready to serve, remove from the freezer and let sit on the counter for a few minutes (this helps with scooping). Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve Cookie Monster Ice Cream
This creamy ice cream is perfect for making an ice cream sandwich, scooping on top of a waffle cone, or right into a bowl!
Top a generous scoop of monster ice cream with hot fudge, white chocolate chips, toasted walnuts, toasted nuts, marshmallow fluff, colorful sprinkles, and more crushed cookies!
Which Cookies to Use
Feel freeze to use any cookies you'd like, but I like to use store bought cookies to make this recipe.
Here are some suggestions:
- Oreo cookies
- Double Stuf Oreos
- Chips Ahoy cookies
- Edible cookie dough / chocolate chip cookie dough
- Homemade cookies
- Graham crackers
- Animal crackers
- Shortbread cookies
Since this ice cream is a vanilla ice cream, pretty much any type of cookie will do! This recipe is also very versatile. You could add any type of topping that you like.
I added hot fudge, white chocolate chips, toasted walnuts, and marshmallow fluff. But you could also add sprinkles,
- You may use off-brand cookie sandwiches or even add your preferred variety of Oreos if you like. You could be inventive and pick the peanut butter ones, double Stuf, birthday cake, or any other flavor you choose.
- If you don't have a stand mixer, whipped cream may be made with a hand mixer as well.
- When making the whipped cream, you'll know when its done when you turn the whisk upside down and the peaks point straight up without collapsing.
- You may use more or less food coloring to achieve the color you want, and even use a natural food coloring if you'd like.
- You may also mill your cookies in a blender. Alternatively, you may wrap the cookies in a sealed sandwich bag and roll over them with a rolling pin. I prefer to leave the cookies in larger chunks.
This cookie monster ice cream is the perfect summer dessert! It is easy to make, no churn, and packed with cookie pieces.
It is also a fun recipe to make with kids. They will love seeing the cookie pieces in their ice cream and showing off their bright blue tongues!
This no churn cookie monster ice cream recipe is very easy to make. You only need a few simple ingredients and it comes together quickly. It does not require an ice cream maker, so it is the perfect no fuss treat.
The cookie pieces are what give this dessert its fun flavor and color. Be sure to use your favorite cookies for this recipe! I used chocolate chip cookies and chocolate sandwich cookies, but you could use any type of cookie that you like.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- blue food coloring (gel or liquid will work)
- 12-15 small chocolate chip cookies (about 1 ½ - 2 inches diameter) (Chips Ahoy brand works well)
- 12-16 chocolate cream sandwich cookies (Oreo brand works well)
- Place a 9×5-inch loaf pan in the freezer to chill.
- Place the cookies on a cutting board and chop with a knife OR place in a plastic bag and smash into pieces using a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Start with the lowest speed and gradually increase it to medium as the mixture begins to thicken (you can also use a hand mixer here).
- The cream will begin to thicken and form peaks. Mix on high speed until the cream is thick and firm and peaks stand on their own without collapsing.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, salt, and food coloring. There should be no streaks of food coloring.
- Add a large scoop of whipped cream into the blue mixture, and gently fold it in.
- Once combined, repeat the same step with the remaining cream. Be very careful to not deflate the whipped cream.
- Next, toss in the chopped cookie pieces, reserving ½ cup or so.
- Fold the cookie pieces into the ice cream base.
- Scoop the ice cream into the chilled loaf pan, smoothing out the top.
- Add the reserved cookie pieces to the top of the ice cream.
- Freeze for at least 8 hours or until fully set (overnight works best).
Recipe by Owlbbaking
- Prep Time: 15
- Chill Time: 8 hours
- Category: No Churn Ice Cream
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: ½ Cup
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 29.6 g
- Sodium: 313.4 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 61.1 mg
Keywords: cookie monster ice cream, no churn ice cream, ice cream recipes, cookie monster, homemade ice cream, cookie ice cream