©2021 Owlbbaking, LLC. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without permission from owner is strictly prohibited.Click here for round-up feature consent.
These cookies are packed with oatmeal, finely shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips. They're super chewy and have a slight crunch on the edges. Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are sweet and the blend of flavor is absolutely divine.
Happy New Year friends!! I hope everyone had a lovely holiday and excited for all the things that 2019 has to bring! 2018 was a whirlwind of a year for me. We sold our home, moved, bought a new home (and now, gearing up for renovations)...I turned 30 (AH), made a career change and everything in between.
In addition to all that, working on OBB and bringing the site up to my expectations was my #1 goal last year. With everything going on, it was difficult to carry out all of my ideas but I managed to squeeze some time in to continue working on it. In the spirit of the holiday, Here are my New Year's goals for OBB:
- Start a video tutorial series
- Aim to post a new recipe weekly
- Show my face more/be more interactive (my Instagram game has been BAD).
So far, that's what I've got. I'm sure I'll think of more, but I have a feeling I'll be busy enough with these! I can't start the video series until our house is finished, but in the meantime, send me some ideas on what you want to see!
With the start of the year, I was thinking about what type of recipe I wanted my first post of 2019 to be. I realize a lot of people are taking advantage of this fresh start to get healthy and I figured I should probably make something that is sugar free, fat free, Paleo...but then I thought, "Why start the year off deprived?!"
So, instead I came up with Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.
And, they are...amazing. Like, amazing amazing.
I was looking back on my old posts and came across my Oatmeal Fig cookies. I remembered how glorious that recipe is. Grinding up the oatmeal slightly in the food processor gives the cookies the most wonderful texture. You can tell they're oatmeal, but they're not overly oatmeal.
You could make these without any additions and they would still be superb, but I wanted to add some pizzazz. I took a look in my pantry to see what I had on hand to add into the batter. My eyes were immediately drawn to shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
Yes, and yes.
These cookies bake up with an deep caramelized flavor thanks to the brown sugar. The edges are firm and crisp and the middle has a dense chew. The fineness of the oatmeal and coconut provide a slight crunch and the chocolate melts in your mouth. I'm in love with the texture of this cookie!
Random- but isn't that lightbox in the background of the above photo adorable? I picked it up over the holiday- it's so fun to use and add into my pix!
When you're shopping for your coconut, make sure the coconut is finely shredded and unsweetened. Between the cookie and the chocolate, there's plenty of sweetness already, and the finely shredded coconut works well because it's a little drier and crunchier.
They're coconutty, chocolately and just purely delightful.
These Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate cookies are unlike any other oatmeal cookie I've ever had. They did not last long in the house. A great way to kick off the new year!Print
These cookies are packed with oatmeal, finely shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips. They’re super chewy and have a slight crunch on the edges. Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are sweet and the blend of flavors is absolutely divine.
- 1 c unsalted butter (softened )
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 1 c light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ c all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ c quick cooking oats
- 1 c finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 c dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Measure the oats into a food processor. Pulse several times until the oats are about half in size. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer combine the butter and sugars until light & fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Gently fold in the oats, coconut & chocolate. Refrigerate the dough for 30min.
- Using a 1 ½ tbsp cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking tray leaving about 2 - 2 ½ inches apart. Flatten slightly using the tips of your fingers.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool fully on the tray before serving.
Recipe by Owlbbaking.com